What To Do If You Are Involved In A Hit And Run
Being in a car accident can rattle anyone. What do you do if you are involved in a hit and run? Has this ever happened to you? It’s never happened to me but I have seen it happen to other people a few times. I can imagine that one would be really confused as to what to do next.
Allstate has put together a list of things to do if you are involved in a hit and run so you won’t be caught off guard and you won’t forget anything. Remember if you need to get your car towed be sure to contact your local Cincinnati Cadillac dealer for some help.
1. Survey your immediate surroundings – If the other vehicle’s driver isn’t easily spotted in your immediate surroundings, do not try and go after the driver yourself. If this happens while you are not in the vehicle check your windshield to see if they may have left a note with their contact information.
2. Call the police – Call the police immediately to file an accident report.
3. Get the facts at the scene – Ask people nearby the scene if they witnessed the accident. Take down their reports and contact information.
4. Check for surveillance cameras – If the accident occurred in a parking lot, check to see if a surveillance camera caught the incident on tape.
5. Take pictures – If you don’t have a camera on your phone, Allstate recommends that drivers keep a disposable camera in the glove box. Take snap shots of the damage to your vehicle and of your surroundings.
6. Contact your insurance company – Report even a minor accident to your insurance company immediately. – See Allstate for more information.
Has this every happened to you? What did you do?